I want to apply to AmeriCorps JD
AmeriCorps JD provides a life changing experience for its members. The program provides law students with hands-on experience and an opportunity to make a difference in communities that need help the most.
SERVING AS AN AMERICORPS JD MEMBER
Deadline to apply: June 3! Completed applications will be automatically entered for a chance to win one of 10 iPad Airs or Microsoft Surface 3 tablets. Regardless of when they begin, accepted members must complete the required 300 hours of service by August 31 in order to receive the Segal Education award valued at $1,222.
Students often prefer to complete their term of service following an academic schedule over the course of one semester period either fall, spring, or summer. Please review the information below to ensure you meet program deadlines.
AMERICORPS JD PROGRAM
To participate in AmeriCorps JD:
- You must be a current law student at a qualifying organization
- You must not receive compensation for more than $4,300 for the same service
- You must not receive school credit for the same service
- You must be a U.S. citizen, U.S. national or lawful permanent resident (e.g. green card) and pass a criminal background check, including an FBI fingerprint check (though applicants are not disqualified for most criminal records).
AmeriCorps JD participants receive an Segal AmeriCorps Education Award of $1,222 upon successful completion of the program. This award can be applied toward student loans or tuition, but please note that this award is not a cash stipend. AmeriCorps JD Members must adhere to strict guidelines regarding outside funding.
Host Organization Resources
If searching for a host organization, organizations working in 2015 priority areas will provide applicants a starting place for potential host sites in their community. Equal Justice Works suggests looking at postings on PSJD or Idealist, or directly contacting the organization's offices to ask if they need help for the fall, spring, or summer.
There are two steps you must take before completing an application:
1. Review the eligibility requirements above in the AmeriCorps JD Application Guide to ensure you are eligible.
2. Secure a position with a qualifying organization.
- Equal Justice Works will not find a placement for you. For more information on organizations that are interested in hosting AmeriCorps JD Members click here.
- Confirm the name of your direct supervisor at the organization in order to complete the application.
Application Deadlines and Start Dates
Ready to apply?
Please review our Five Easy Steps to Apply to AmeriCorps JD and download our Application Guide. Applications are accepted through our Student Application Manager (SAM). It will require approximately 30 minutes to complete the application.
- Law School
- AmeriCorps JD
- Rural Summer Legal Corps
- Conference and Career Fair
- Engaging Law Students Across the Country
- Law School Pro Bono
- Student Debt Relief
- Apply to National Advisory Committee
- Equal Justice Works Law School Membership