The Equal Justice Works AmeriCorps JD program provides law students with the opportunity to deliver critically needed legal assistance in low-income and underserved communities across the country.
Supported by the Corporation for National and Community Service, the Equal Justice Works AmeriCorps JD program provides invaluable experience in various legal areas. A qualifying AmeriCorps JD project must propose to provide direct legal services for clients within one of the Equal Justice Works AmeriCorps programs:
- Justice AmeriCorps: Help immigrant children who have crossed the U.S. border without a parent or guardian.
- Veterans Legal Corps: Provide legal services that enable low-income veterans to return to successful civilian life.
- Employment Opportunity Legal Corps: Assist unemployed or underemployed people who are seeking to join the labor market.
- Disaster Legal Corps: Help improve the lives of populations who reside in communities affected by disasters.
- Elder Justice AmeriCorps: Complete screenings, assessments, and provide direct legal representation to victims of elder abuse.
AmeriCorps JD projects must fall within one of our issue areas. For more detailed information regarding eligible projects, please click here.
WHO SERVES IN AMERICORPS JD
AmeriCorps JD Members are students enrolled at accredited law schools serve at a variety of organizations, as detailed here. Preference is given to applicants attending Equal Justice Works' member law schools. Qualifying organizations include those that host Equal Justice Works AmeriCorps Legal Fellows or privately-funded Equal Justice Works Fellows (click here for a list of current Fellows and host organizations), those that are funded by the Legal Services Corporation, State Offices of Veterans Affairs, and Veterans Treatment Courts.
To see examples of our AmeriCorps JD Members in action, please review one of our AmeriCorps JD Success Stories.
For more information about serving as an AmeriCorps JD Member, including education award benefits, please visit I want to apply to Equal Justice Works AmeriCorps JD.
If you have questions about AmeriCorps JD, please send an email to email@example.com.