Blog Archives for August 2009

Summer of Service: Keeping clients in their homes

August 31, 2009 The following is a guest post from one of the Summer Corps Standout winners, Jeffrey Shneidman, who is working at the Housing Unit at Neighborhood Legal Services.  He is a student at the Boston University School of Law. I work in the Housing Unit at Neighborhood Legal Services (NLS).  Through my work at NLS, I help low-income families avoid homelessness.  The organization serves regions in the poorer areas of Massachusetts that are documented targets of predatory lending.  For example, Lawrence (where I am based) has a h Read More

Summer of Service: What's wrong with excessive bail?

August 31, 2009 The following is a guest post from one of the Summer Corps Standout winners, Scott Burrill, who worked for the Alaska Public Defender Agency in Alaska. He is a student at the University of Iowa College of Law. Over the summer, I had the privilege of working for the Alaska Public Defender Agency in Kenai, Alaska, as a summer intern. My job was to serve the indigent population residing in the Kenai Peninsula, specifically those facing criminal charges. Read More

Summer of Service: Securing Immigrants' Benefits

August 31, 2009 The following is a guest post from one of the Summer Corps Standout winners, Tracy Tripp, who is working at Community Legal Services of Philadelphia.  She is a student at the Drexel University Earle Mack School of Law. One of my main tasks this summer at Community Legal Services of Philadelphia (CLS) is answering inquiries from aged and disabled immigrants and their families about access to Supplemental Security Income (SSI), a benefit offered by the Social Security Administration (SSA) to the elderly or disabled with Read More

Law school is not one-size-fits-all

August 28, 2009 Law school is an expensive investment in your future.  Choosing an affordable law school is important, but rankings have little to do with finding a quality, affordable legal education.  Each law school is different in its mission, culture and student engagement. Read More

Four years after Katrina

August 26, 2009 Many communities are still struggling four years after Hurricane Katrina devastated the Gulf Coast. On August 17, the Urban Institute released Delivering Legal Aid After Katrina, which outlines and evaluates Equal Justice Works' response to the disaster. Abstract:
Hurricanes Katrina and Rita led to a myriad of legal needs in the Gulf Coast area at a time when the region's legal infrastructure was weakened. Equal Justice Works implemented the Katrina Legal Initiative, an innovative legal aid disaster relief program to assist the affected communities.
Read More

Stimulate the economy by forgiving loans?

August 26, 2009 You can get your loans forgiven after 10 years of public service employment. But what if they were erased instantly? The City Council of Albany, N.Y. Read More

Getting the most out of your law school?

August 25, 2009 What's more important to you - where your law school ranks according to U.S. News or the value you get out of your legal education? Read More

More evidence that private student loans aren’t smart

August 25, 2009 The Project on Student Debt released new analysis showing that nearly two-thirds of the undergraduate students who borrowed for school took out “private” student loans even though they could have borrowed federally-guaranteed student loans.  Private student loans are expensive and lack the protections borrowers have with federal loans.  Private loan interest rates are normally higher than federal loans and even worse, those interest rates are adjustable and can go up and up and up!  There is no “cap” on how high the interest rates can rise on Read More

Summer of Service: Improving Public Defense

August 24, 2009 The following is a guest post from one of the Summer Corps Standout winners, Michael Shaffer, who is working at The Michigan State Appellate Defender Office.  He is a student at the University of Michigan Law School. The Michigan State Appellate Defender Office (SADO) handles 25 percent of felony appeals in the state and provides resources and training for the assigned counsel who handle the other 75 percent. Read More

Summer of Service: Assisting Foster Youth

August 21, 2009 The following is a guest post from one of the Summer Corps Standout winners, Jennifer Garber, who is working at the Center for Children and Youth Justice.  She is a student at the Seattle University of Law. The Lawyers Fostering Independence Program (LFI) at the Center for Children and Youth Justice (CCYJ) provides free civil legal assistance to youth ages 17-23 who are aging out or are alumni of foster care. Read More

© 2017 Equal Justice Works - 1730 M Street, NW, Suite 800, Washington, DC 20036-4511